Search Breeds Available

Contact Info

Email: Debbie7pixie At yahoo.com
---------- Change At ^ To @

Centralia, MO65240

Phone: (573) 535-5255

Articles

More Articles

Links

Cocoa mulch kills dogs

 
  
Please   tell  every dog or cat owner you know. Even if   you don't have a pet,  please pass this to those   who do. 
The  owner of two young lab mixes  purchased Cocoa Mulch   from Target to  use in their  garden. The dogs loved the way   it smelled and it  was advertised to  keep cats away from  their garden.  Their dog  (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good   enough  to eat and devoured a large  helping.   She vomited a few  times which was typical  when  she eats something  new but wasn't acting lethargic in any  way.  The  next day, Mom woke up and took    Calypso out for her morning  walk . Half way   through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.   

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the  label,   upon further investigation on the company's web  site,  

 this product is HIGHLY toxic to   dogs  and cats. 

Cocoa Mulch is  manufactured by Hershey's,  and they claim that "It is true  that studies have shown that 50%  of the dogs that eat Cocoa  Mulch can suffer  physical  harm  to a variety of   degrees (depending on each individual dog).    However, 98% of all dogs won't eat    it."
   

Cocoa Mulch,  which is sold by Home  Depot, Foreman's   Garden Supply and other Garden supply   stores contains a  lethal ingredient called  'Theobromine'. It  is lethal to dogs and  cats. It  smells li ke  chocolate and it really  attracts dogs.  They will ingest this stuff  and  die. Several deaths  have already occurred.

Theobromine is in   all chocolate,  especially dark or baker's  chocolate which is  toxic to  dogs. Cocoa bean  shells contain potentially toxic   quantities of theobromine,   a xanthine compound    similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline.   A dog that  ingested a lethal quantity of garden   mulch made from cacao bean  shells  developed  severe convulsions   and died 17 hours later. Analysis  of the stomach  contents and  the ingested cacao bean  shells  revealed the presence of lethal  amounts of  theobromine.